Elk City Statistics
We are an unincorporated community so we have no mayor. We do have a non-profit organization (Elk City Area Alliance) that holds community property such as the airport, community hall, medical clinic, and the park.
- Population – about 400 which includes Dixie and surrounding areas.
- Elk City is in Idaho County.
- Elevation is 4200 ft.
- Elk City is located in north central Idaho on the South fork of the Clearwater River. We are surrounded by wilderness area. It is 50 miles to the nearest town of Grangeville.
- Gold was discovered here in 1861 and the town has been occupied ever since. People still search for gold here and there is recreational dredging.
- We have a school that is K-8th grade. The high school students board out either in Grangeville or Kooskia. There are about 30 students and 2 teachers.
- Many people come here to hunt deer, elk, and moose, bear, cougar.
- There are many mountain lakes in which to fish. Salmon and Steelhead come up the south fork so we see many fishermen along our windy road.
- Elk City Days- 2nd weekend in Aug.
- Elk City Wagon Road Days-3rd weekend in July
- Red River Hot Springs (supposed to reopen this summer)
- Check out our Elk City Idaho website.